Ideas for next season

Should've seen them circles.
Deadmeat

Ideas for next season

Postby Deadmeat » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:09 pm

I put this here Nap, not much traffic in that sticky.

I think when the Division round-robin finishes, instead of just declaring the top guy in each division the winner, there should be a finals(playoffs) series, for the top few pilots in each division, maybe the top 4.

This would force the winner to be more consistent, and give pilots (who might see part way though the season that they won't make 1st place) incentive to keep trying, without slowing the season down, or dragging it out too long.
It would also help the season finish with a climax rather than an anti-climax.

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I think maybe a small change to the scoring system might be good, this season every duel flown in every engagement is worth 2 points, eg

1. Pilot A 2-0 Pilot B
2. Pilot B 2-1 Pilot A
3. Pilot A 2-1 Pilot B

gives 10 points to A, 6 points to B. If engagement 1 was PilotA 2-1 pilotB then B would be awarded 8 points.

It's good that the losing pilot in an engagement gets rewarded for scoring 2-1 instead of 2-0, but the fact that the third duel of an engagement may or may not be fought could cause some problems.

One pilot may want to fly the third duel, the other may not.

One work-around may be to make the 3rd duel compulsory, but that might seem strange, and it seems likely that on most occasions at least one pilot won't be keen on flying it.

The other option would be to go back to scoring each engagement, same as the Race.

If we stick with the 'points for every duel' I think it'd be good to have more columns in the Standings page, perhaps ROE1s Won, ROE1s Lost, ROE2s Won, ROE2s Lost, ROE3s Won, ROE3s Lost.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:46 pm

I think you should be able to lose points, but not go below zero (0)

It's probably difficult to incorporate into the webleague though.

2 points for a kill
2 points lost for getting flammed

Bonus points for a sweep. I'm sure you know where this comes from hehe ;).

This way also makes every sortie count, rather than just the ROE/rating system. That way, losing the last scored ROE doesn't hit you so much in the rating.

A close match the pilot that loses reflects in his score on how well he did, and how close the match really was.

EX:

Joe Pilot 2-0
Bollocks 2-1
Bollocks 2-1

By the point count here there are 4 kills a piece by each pilot, although Bollocks won the ROE. (Maybe a 5 point bonus for winning the match in this scenario?)

Considering this is a statistical draw, neither pilot gains points. This pushes pilots to go for a commanding victory, and to be well rounded in each ROE of competition, rather than focusing on what they're already proficient at.
The ordinary air fighter is an extraordinary man and the extraordinary air fighter stands as one in a million among his fellows.
Theodore Roosevelt

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:50 pm

We've already discussed this, but it could be down the road.

An awards system 8)

The ordinary air fighter is an extraordinary man and the extraordinary air fighter stands as one in a million among his fellows.

Theodore Roosevelt

centermass

Postby centermass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:41 am

I'm noticing a lot of challenges being made in the webleague without also being made in the Forum.

Is it possible for a webleague challenge to kick off a post in the 1v1 thread?

And have that proposed time be the message in the thread?

Also the webleague challenge feature only has the last post visible. So if the first post has the date and time, but those are not good for both players.

And the original poster posts again with just the date only the date and not the time will show up.

Nap

Postby Nap » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 am

Hi CM,

I've been thinking of how I could make the Web League auto post in the forum, but I haven't done anything serious about it. I will look at that for the next update.

Other than the technical aspect of doing this, it is important that the web league is the place where things get done (when the number of players increases). So by having the forum thread available, people might not use the web league. But I am thinking about how to do this.

As far as the history is concerned, you can actually see it already. In most of the pages, the match id numbers in the ID column are links. Click on the one you're interested in and it will take you to the history.

Cheers,
Nap

Return to “Pilots Lounge”