Spectator Mode comments

Should've seen them circles.
xianzai

Spectator Mode comments

Postby xianzai » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:46 am

Please use this thread for comments

Spectator Mode

ABMS is pleased to introduce an exciting new feature for Secure Falcon. Spectator Mode allows one or more spectators to view a SF match in all available outside views.

Setup a Spectator Mode match as follows:
The vpilot who is hosting SF
- when selecting the competition rules, in the drop down box choose:
Spectator Mode
- proceed with SF setup as normal
- once AF is turned on and mulitiplayer is setup, in the Rules of Engagement screen of game setup, the vpilot who is hosting will click:
Allow external views
- proceed as normal with game setup and play

To connect as a Spectator:
- the spectator/s do not use SF to connect to the vpilot host
- turn on AF and connect to the vpilot host and enter the game as normal with:
Allow external views clicked
- enter the game as normal and click on fly when ready

In Spectator Mode SF has been configured to block the external views for the pilots competing while allowing external views for a spectator.

To unobstruct the competing pilots game the spectator/s should fly directly into the ground at the start of the match, NOT EJECT, and then feel free to use the allowed outside views.

Flying as a spectator will effect your logbook rating, you can change your logbook so this doesn't happen.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:17 am

Interesting & cool.

What's the purpose?

centermass

Postby centermass » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:31 am

I'm fine with this.

Like always I would think both pilots would have to agree to allow spectators.

If one pilot says no then no spectators.

Hotseat

Postby Hotseat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:46 am

my only question, can spectators record ACMIs? I would assume so.
Fighter pilot mentality? Check
Internet anonimity? Check
This won't end well....

xianzai

Postby xianzai » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:56 am

KidVicious wrote:Interesting & cool.
What's the purpose?

Hopefully to encourage people to get involved. Like who wouldn't want to watch the upcoming tank/kv match, or the xianzai/kv rematch in living colour!

I'm pretty sure ACMI records fine.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:27 am

Has this been tested for latency or stability issues?

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:29 am

centermass wrote:I'm fine with this.

Like always I would think both pilots would have to agree to allow spectators.

If one pilot says no then no spectators.

I agree

xianzai

Postby xianzai » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:43 am

KidVicious wrote:Has this been tested for latency or stability issues?

We tested out the changes in SF and it seemed fine.
Those issues would be normal net connection AF problems, nothing to do with the SF change.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:47 am

Right,

The point is though,were the pilots considered in whether they wanted spectators or not? I understand SF being modified for things outside the competition, but is it gonna be mandatory to allow spectators in matches?

What happens when due to bandwidth considerations, the 3rd client is causing MP issues (latency..etc.), how will that be handled?

I have all these questions cause this is the first I've heard of it. Kinda like it was just dropped on everyone.

xianzai

Postby xianzai » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:58 am

KidVicious wrote:Right,
The point is though,were the pilots considered in whether they wanted spectators or not? I understand SF being modified for things outside the competition, but is it gonna be mandatory to allow spectators in matches?
What happens when due to bandwidth considerations, the 3rd client is causing MP issues (latency..etc.), how will that be handled?
I have all these questions cause this is the first I've heard of it. Kinda like it was just dropped on everyone.

Ok

Its definately not mandatory. Its just a feature that anybody can use if they want to.
I was thinking of your comments on more remarks for a match then just scoring and this is something that could help with that if somebody wants to get in and watch a match and report to everybody what it was like.
It could be useful for training as well. Since most people fly with external views off, using the SF program will allow that to be turned on without effecting the fight.

I'm not sure of a rule for latency yet, if both players agree to allow someone to watch then they would take the risk that it might cause a problem and would likely have to agree to refly the game with no spectator.
What do you think?

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:06 am

Ok,

It's good it's not mandatory. What's wrong with requesting an ACMI from a match though?

Hotseat

Postby Hotseat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:58 am

so you'll be making spectator channels for all the dogfight rooms? I can see it now, fifteen people sitting in the spectator rooms talking smack about the match they are watching...could be loads of fun.

I for one would love a ringside seat for a Tank/KV match..Thats GOLD JERRY!
This won't end well....

Hotseat

Postby Hotseat » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:01 am

KidVicious wrote:Ok,

It's good it's not mandatory. What's wrong with requesting an ACMI from a match though?

well, I for one feel kinda awkward asking for ACMIs from folks who I don't know very well. And I would hate to become really good and end up having to D/L ACMIs to fifty folks after every match.
This won't end well....

centermass

Postby centermass » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:05 pm

A voluntary ACMI repository would be cool, but could get large.

Just ask for the ACMI. They should give 'em up with no problems.

But try not to learn a pilots manerisms(sp), they may use it against you.

Learn what the jet can and can't do then fight the jet. Then it does not matter who is flying. :wink:

Nap

Postby Nap » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Great concept Xianzai!

In F4AF, each client does take quite a bit of bandwidth, not like SP4.2, so I agree it should definately be up to the competitors (especially the one hosting Falcon) as to whether spectators should be allowed.

Xianzai's point (in response to a comment KV made) about reporting on matches is really exciting. It opens the door for a "Sports Reporter's" role , just like that which exists in other sports.

As none of us have really had time to soak in the implications of this, here are a few to think of that haven't been thrown in already.

The 3rd party could be a 'referee', who could watch the match, and make their own ACMI.

Also, as a spectator, watching the match 'live' is far more exciting than watching a replay (ACMI).

This modification to the SF rules also means that if the Falcon host has forgotten to turn of external views, it wouldn't matter since SF blocks the keys used for all the external views.

Cheers,
Nap

Return to “Pilots Lounge”