Secure Falcon Disabling Kbd, Mouse, Joystick

Should've seen them circles.
Nap

Secure Falcon Disabling Kbd, Mouse, Joystick

Postby Nap » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi guys,

DeadMeat reported to me that when he used SF in a match earlier today, somehow he lost use of his mouse, keyboard, and joystick while in the 3D world.

He and I did some testing during the day and found that while in the UI, the keyboard and mouse were fine, but his joystick was not accessable in the Controls drop down list. When he entered the 3D world, he lost all controls; keyboard, mouse and joystick.

After a couple hours of trying to resolve the problem, were not able to figure out why this was happening.

He is going to try updating his DirectX to see if that helps.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Cheers,
Nap

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Yeah, weird.

I'm running AF on my laptop, a Toshiba Portege M500, Celeron M 1.6ghz cpu, 1gig ram, running XP Pro SP2, with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I'm not sure what else might be relevant, for me to put here.

My Direct X is 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). I'm going to upgrade to the Feb 2007 9.0c now, see if that makes a difference.

AF runs fine single player, and fine if I connect mp directly useing AF, without SF. As soom as I hit 3d world when connected with SF, _ALL_ my controls stop responding(but for AF only ie. if my Teamspeak is push-to-talk using 'F11', then 'F11' still works for TS, just not for AF.)

centermass

Postby centermass » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Never had any problems like this. It has to be local to the machine. Otherwise all other people would be having the problem.

One thing is the account on the server, but don't see how that would affect the local machine.

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Curiouser and curiouser...

I've updated DirectX and my joystick drivers.
Tested with the stick in my old desktop linked to the laptop I usually use in a LAN, everything worked fine.
Plugged the stick back into the laptop and tried a another LAN game, everything worked fine!
Tried another internet game, still wouldn't work.
Tried upgrading to 1.0.12, but no change.

So quite a few conditions need to be met to cause/see this problem:
-Only happens on my laptop. (My desktop doesn't have any problems)
-Only when my joystick is plugged in. (No joystick, no problem)
-Only when SF is running. (Direct connection through AF is fine)
-Only for internet games (LAN games are fine)

centermass

Postby centermass » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:32 pm

So you can have LAN games with SF with no problems?

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Yep, LAN games are fine, I only have the problem with internet games. I ran a LAN game a few minutes before I tried another failed internet game test with Nap yesterday, and I tried a LAN game just now, both were fine.

A couple of thing in my last post might not actually be correct: I said it only happens on my laptop, but I've never tried my desktop in an internet game, and I said it only happens with the joystick, but I've never actually tried an internet game _without_ the joystick.

Perhaps my desktop with the stick in an internet game would also have the same problem, or, perhaps I would still have the problem with my laptop in an internet game even without the stick.

Nap

Postby Nap » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:35 pm

DeadMeat,

On your laptop, do you have Admin rights in the account you are using? Might have something to do with permissions?

Wish I had the answer, but hope you figure it out.

Cheers,
Nap

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:09 pm

No I don't. I usually run the computer from a normal user's account, and that's where I play AF from.

But when I run SF I always "run as.." the admin (because SF doesn't like being run from the standard account, I get strange error boxes if I try).

Could it make a difference?

Nap

Postby Nap » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Deadmeat wrote:No I don't. I usually run the computer from a normal user's account, and that's where I play AF from.

But when I run SF I always "run as.." the admin (because SF doesn't like being run from the standard account, I get strange error boxes if I try).

Could it make a difference?

I always use an account that is setup as an Administrator when I use my PC. So I don't use the "run as..." option. So I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe that's an option?

(Considering what SF does, I would not be surprised if that fixed it but can't be sure.)

Cheers,
Nap

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Really? :)

I'll try it.

centermass

Postby centermass » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:42 am

Might be some strangeness with the "run as" because your running that process with admin privs but your profile is still the standard user profile.

A way to keep your settings withougt having to map them all again in the admin profile is to put your user account in the administrators group.

This is less secure but simpler.

Deadmeat

Postby Deadmeat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:13 pm

Ok, all fixed! It was just the admin account business.

Ran SF from the admin account and everything worked as it should.

So for anyone who comes across this in the future: using the 'Run As...' to run SF as admin isn't enough. You must run from the admin account.

Cheers Nap for all the help. Appreciate it mate!

Now I've got what, four days(?) left in the Race to position myself for the divisions, haha ;)

Nap

Postby Nap » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Nice Deadmeat. Had me scratching my head about this one. I just wish I realised it earlier.

Better get cracking on your matches! :D

Cheers,
Nap

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:37 am

centermass wrote:Never had any problems like this. It has to be local to the machine. Otherwise all other people would be having the problem.

One thing is the account on the server, but don't see how that would affect the local machine.

Ever heard of an intermittant discrepancy there junior? :wink:
The ordinary air fighter is an extraordinary man and the extraordinary air fighter stands as one in a million among his fellows.
Theodore Roosevelt

centermass

Postby centermass » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:05 am

Don't make me pull my technical wizardry on your ass :twisted:

Return to “Pilots Lounge”