ROE's

PAVEWAY

ROE's

Postby PAVEWAY » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:53 am

here un I idea that I know would make the IDL more active and fun. We should have all the Roe's separated in which they would be a recognized leader for each Roe's. Pilots would be able to chose which ROE they like the best and be able to put forth more focus because if you took a good look at the results from all past matches you see that certain fighters show their best in only one or two of the Roe's. Each Roe's have different tactics and some may argue that Roe's one and two are the same but I don't think so. I would not fly ROE one as I would in ROE two because in ROE one I can fly in a certain way and let the opponent get on my six so that I can use my defense skills and get on his six a lot more quicker. It takes a long time to gain experience in guns only and if you did it would not be the same in real aspect missile because you have to use different tactics so that you wont get shot by a missile. BVR also takes time. I know for sure some of those who are in the top 5 or 10 would not be their in the cause of BVR. I know the results would change if this idea took effect and I would fly ROE one only, I can care less about the rest. when I started flying in the IDL I was good in ROE 1 and 3. how many of you think this is a good idea.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:20 am

I think by seperating the ROEs, it only would demonstrate the weakness of particular pilots in various aspects of air to air combat.

The idea is to be a well rounded pilot that is skilled in all areas of air to air combat vs another human pilot.

It doesn't take much skill to focus and compete in one singular ROE, anyone can do that. However, pitting your wits vs another in ALL aspects of air to air combat requires much attention to detail and training.

While I believe the scoring system should be changed, the current one displays an accurate representation of an individual pilot's skill through the whole of H2H combat. You'll note, that the pilots in the lead are not only skilled at one particular ROE, otherwise they wouldn't be in the lead.

The problem with the current scoring system is that pilots that fly numerous sorties and still be in the top of the ladder although they're only scoring 50%. This shows that if you fly alot of matches, you can be in the top of the ladder although you're not really that good.

If there was a way to implement an individual scoring system by sortie that would be a better reflection of pilots skill. For example: 5 points for a kill, -5 points for getting shot down.

So for close matches like 2-1, 0-2, 2-1 the points gained wouldn't be that high cause the match was so close. (The above score is a statistical draw so no points would be gained, although the match was won by ROE).

Something to think about.

centermass

Postby centermass » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:19 am

KidVicious wrote:The problem with the current scoring system is that pilots that fly numerous sorties and still be in the top of the ladder although they're only scoring 50%. This shows that if you fly alot of matches, you can be in the top of the ladder although you're not really that good.

This is me and I totally Agree. I win about half my matches and am still able to challenge the top spot. Doesn't seem right.

Although I'm the best in MHO. LOL :P

I don't like the idea of one champion for every ROE either. Only way I see this working is in the TE or FvF ROE since it is all encompassing.

I think campaign pilots are better overall pilots than pure dog-fighters.

PAVEWAY

Postby PAVEWAY » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:28 am

that's a very good point their KV on the scoring. I never understood how a person who's not as skilled and be able to challenge those who are much more experienced. The scoring system should be changed ASAP and it would be great if all ROE's where 5 points instead of 3 this would give a person a chance to make a comeback.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:17 pm

PAVEWAY wrote:and it would be great if all ROE's where 5 points instead of 3 this would give a person a chance to make a comeback.

This defeats the whole purpose of an international competition.

The idea is to face a pilot you've never faced before, and you have to be johnny on the spot from the word go. If you can't get it done in 3 sorties per ROE, the you were outflown.

You shouldn't have the ability to 'adjust' to your opponent's flying style over the course of a max of 9 sorties! You should be superior to him 'on the fly' and adjust immediately. Giving over to several sorties in efforts to 'come back' shows weakness, and a lack of instantaneous adjustment to an opponent's flying style.

This is part of the fun, facing another pilot that is unknown, you have no clue what he's gonna do, so you better make it happen the first time around or you're finished. 8)

PAVEWAY

Postby PAVEWAY » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:25 pm

then we should have one sortie instead of 3.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:47 am

PAVEWAY wrote:then we should have one sortie instead of 3.

I kinda agree here. But if you do everything right, then you won't go a full 3 sorties (which would be a score of 2-1 right? ;) ).

If you do everything right, it should only take 2 sorties per ROE. I think this is alittle better than possibly flying 9!!! Could you imagine how long some of the matches would be?!?!
The ordinary air fighter is an extraordinary man and the extraordinary air fighter stands as one in a million among his fellows.
Theodore Roosevelt

xianzai

Postby xianzai » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:34 am

How about any rank can challenge any rank. This would allow everybody to get experience flying with whoever they wish and possibly allow more flying to take place. Sure if your new you could lose easily but its all for experience.

The rule of only flying within 5 ranks above is limiting in many ways. Especially when there are only 40 pilots and half the time they're in a challenge which takes a week to fly.

centermass

Postby centermass » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:57 am

Being able to challenge any rank takes the fun out of climbing the ladder.

Maybe a combination of the two. The pyramid style of the William Tell league looked pretty cool. If I understood it correctly, any pilot of a certain rank could challlenge the same rank, but only top pilots of that rank could challenge up to the next rank.

Example, all LT could challenge any LT, but only the top 3 LT could challenge CPT and so on. This is cool cool becaue it would allow for more freedom to challlenge, and wuould allow people to have to prove they should fly the higher ranks.

FUN FOR ALL :lol:

KV has the link for the pyramid site. :wink:

PAVEWAY

Postby PAVEWAY » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:36 am

KidVicious wrote:
If you do everything right, it should only take 2 sorties per ROE. I think this is alittle better than possibly flying 9!!! Could you imagine how long some of the matches would be?!?!

Ya i know it would take long but it would be fun as well. more flying time you gain exprience and for those who are not as good fighter can at least see their mistake and be able to have a change to make a comeback. this would be good if the scoring system was changed liked you said.

KidVicious

Postby KidVicious » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:12 pm

Fun and experience is what you get in practice. This competition is like meeting an unknown enemy over the battlefield and you got to be at your best to survive, there is no comeback, unless it's in a future match for revenge ;)

The ordinary air fighter is an extraordinary man and the extraordinary air fighter stands as one in a million among his fellows.

Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Ideas & Feedback”